My love affair with lipstick began when I was a child and I would watch my grandmother “put on her face.” I loved how feminine and glamorous the lipstick looked, and I couldn’t wait to wear it myself. Little did I know how frustrating it would be to find a great lip color and keep it on! Some ‘all-day’ formulas feel like dried paint, glosses last about an hour, and traditional lipsticks can bleed and feather. However, there are some tried and true tips, as well as a few great formulations, to help keep your pucker looking fresh.
* Preparation is key! Exfoliate with a lip scrub, or use a soft damp washcloth. The smoother the lips, the longer your color will last. (Try: The Lip Scrub by Sara Happ, $24. It comes in yummy flavors like Cinnamon Sugar and Vanilla Bean.)
* Next, apply a ‘anti-feathering’ lip conditioner to the entire lip area, as well as outside the lip line. (Try: Paula Dorf Perfect Illusion For Lips, $24)
* Pick a soft lip pencil in a tone close to your natural lip tone. Line and fill in the entire mouth. Lip pencils are not only long-lasting, they act as a base for lipsticks and glosses.
* Apply a creamy or semi-matte lipstick and lightly blot. Now, do it again. Applying two sheer layers will last longer than one thick one. (Lipsticks by NARS and Makeup For Ever are my faves!)
* Finally, dab a small amount of gloss in the center of your lips and press together. Be careful not to apply too close to the lip line.Related posts: